Thursday, July 20, 2017

Mandela Day Melbourne



On the 18th of July 1918 Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was born,  
An anti-apartheid revolutionary, a politician, my hero, 
A philanthropist, a first black South African President he'll never be really gone, 
A grandfather who rose the country from ashes of zero to hero. 

I remember when I paid Singapore, Malaysia and Cambodia a visit, 
Most people struggled with English but when I told them that I'm from South Africa they all said, "Nelson Mandela",  
I finally got it, this man was not just my hero as a black man, 'till this day he is the world's icon and my people love it, 

Last week Saturday it was Mandela Day here in Melbourne, 
I had the privilege of performing in a big crowd, 
Music and poetry is what I was created to do since I was born, 
To speak and share my heart and make my people proud. 

When I was on stage I had an aha moment, 
I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for this great man we are celebrating, 
It would have been illegal to even be with my wife that I love a 1000 percent, 
Yes, of cos I've always known that a 100 percent was never enough since we started dating.

Now, here I am standing on the precipice of my career, 
In a place I've never imagined I'd be, before this man set us free, 
All I can hear is a sound of good cheer, 
This freedom is the key and it's more than what people see, it's definitely way beyond me. 

Mandela Day Melbourne 

No comments:

Post a Comment